Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sunny Day Diversion

Haida Totem Poles, Victoria BC

You simply cannot photograph forest interiors when the sun is out. And my plans to photograph old-growth forests on Vancouver Island ended up coinciding with unexpectedly clear, sunny weather.  While most people find the sunshine cheery, it put me in a foul mood since it made photographing the trees next to impossible. (Photographers are a notoriously perverse bunch) 
So, instead, I did the next best thing - I photographed the stunning collection of totem poles in Victoria at dawn.  My favorites are of these in the Haida style, easily the most refined and elegant of the Northwest Coast native art traditions.  
If I am lucky, meanwhile, the weather will turn cloudy again next week (this is the Northwest after all) and I will try again to head into the forest.

1 comment:

  1. Sucks that we have to complain about great weather. But nice totem poles.

    ReplyDelete