Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Icons of My Own

Punchbowl Falls, Columbia Gorge

After railing in previous posts about the futility of chasing icons, I chased one of my own today. Few waterfalls in the US are more well-known or widely-photographed than Punchbowl Falls on Oregon's spectacular Eagle Creek. But since my companion Steve had never been there, I was all too pleased to introduce him to one of my favorite corners of the Northwest. We were lucky enough to get there just between two downpours. 
The rainfall from the last few days had swollen the creek somewhat, but the handsome shape of the falls was still evident. Either way, we had to wade out into the middle of stream to get this view. Eagle Creek flows from the snowy slopes of Mt. Hood, and we spent a good hour standing in the bone-chilling water. Painful, but worth it.
I last photographed this falls - on Fuji Velvia! - almost twenty years ago. Seeing it again today was like visiting one old friend, in the company of another. All in all, a good day.  

Nikon D3, 24-70mm f2.8 lens

No comments:

Post a Comment