Monday, August 22, 2011

Another View

St. Helens Sunset
This was one of the last shots I took of Mt. St. Helens this week as the sun set into the haze to the west. It was as much color as I would get this night - and although I was annoyed that the light wasn't clearer, it looks nice enough here.
This is a syndrome common to photographers; rather than enjoying the moment or accepting reality, we tend to think that we've blown it, that the light sucks, that there aren't enough clouds.  Hey, photographers are never satisfied. Seeking perfection, we dwell on the inevitable flaws.
Because this is not far from my home, I console myself by thinking, "I can always go back and try again." And yes, if I had unlimited time, and money, I could keep trying until I got something truly transcendent.  But few of us have that kind of time, or money - and we're talking helicopter time here - so I may have content myself with what I have.

Nikon D3, 24-70mm lens

2 comments:

  1. LOL, yes to all that, and we miss noticing when everybody else thinks our photo is perfect! But I guess that self-criticism is what keeps us growing, learning.
    I bet that helicopter ride was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yes, it was fun...although I WAS seriously disappointed by the subdued light. (Why can't Nature just cooperate..!?) Hey, if was easy and predictable, every picture would look the same....

    ReplyDelete