Saturday, January 22, 2011

On the Way Home

Purple-faced Langur
We've finally emerged from the wilds of Sri Lanka where I actually managed to remain offline for 3 full weeks - some kind of record...   (There simply isn't wifi in the places where I was hanging out.)  But there was wildlife - albeit hard to find, difficult to follow, and in many cases, nearly impossible to photograph.  I spent several days trying in vain to find these endangered langurs, but faced the usual problems that confront primate photography - bad light, tall trees, and uncooperative subjects.

Then one day I just got lucky. A group came down out of the trees, a layer of clouds softened the harsh sunlight and I got about 20 minutes at eye level with one of the 25 most endangered primates in the world. No, I didn't get a lot of behavioral images, or group interactions. That would take weeks - maybe months. But I got some handsome portraits, like this monkey feeding in the cloud forest canopy.

I will be editing pictures from this trip for the next few weeks and will post several as I go along. But before I can do that, I still have 26 hours of flying ahead of me... Wish me luck!

Nikon D3, 70-200mm lens with TC14x

No comments:

Post a Comment